Thursday, July 15, 2010

'Ohana Pineapple Bread Pudding with Bananas Foster Sauce



Recipe for bread pudding:

5 eggs
3 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 cup shredded coconut
12 ounces crushed pineapple, drained
1/2
teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cup sugar
8 cups Challah bread
, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, cut bread in medium pieces and set aside.
2.
In bowl mix eggs, milk , salt, sugar and nutmeg. Set aside.
3 Grease a 12x8 2 inch deep pan.
4. mix all ingredients together and pour into pan. place in oven and bake for about an hour.

Recipe for Bananas foster sauce:

1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup spiced rum
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 bananas peeled and sliced

Method:

1. Combine brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and half of heavy cream in a sauce pot and bring to a boil.

2. After 10 minutes, add remaining heavy cream keeping mixture at a steady boil.

3. Add spiced rum and flambe. BE CAREFUL not to burn yourself!

4. add in bananas and let simmer for 5 minutes.

To plate:

1. Cut a 4x4 piece of pudding and place in center of dessert bowl.
2.Take one scoop of ice cream and put on the top of the pudding.
3. Ladle in 3 ounces (or so) sauce with bananas and ENJOY!!
This is an easy recipe to do. As with any other type of dessert, you could easily add another fruit in and it would come out just as good!

One thing to remember with this recipe is to get a long lighter to keep your hands out of the pot. I obviously used a short lighter, but I also got lucky by NOT BURNING my hand off! Probably cause I've done this a bajillion times.

I also recommend a spiced rum when making this due to the flavor it gives off. A dark rum is ok, but there are plenty of spiced rums that add a layer of flavor to the front of the tongue.

7 comments:

  1. It looks delicious, but how much pineapple did you put in? I didn't see it listed either in the video list of ingredients, or the list underneath the video, even though I saw you mix it into the egg mixture. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just took care of it on the blog! Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I used multiple recipes to nail this one down and one of the recipes actually calls for the pineapple bread they use at 'Ohana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you posted this! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're quite welcome Amber! More are coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMM made this to go along with the Liberty Tree Tavern Pot Roast, mmm soo goood lol both came out really yummy! Only thing though when I went to flambe the rum didn't catch on fire. I used Captain Morgan's Spiced rum. I found it odd so I put some rum by itself on a plate, still got nothing. But was still good though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a different recipe than I used. The one I made suggested making the 'Ohana Breakfast Bread to use in the bread pudding. I used regular French bread so it didn't taste quite as good. Next time I'll make the breakfast bread first then use the recipe I have again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me know how that goes! I am always up for hearing better ideas.

    ReplyDelete